Thursday, September 12, 2013

Life is Simple

My first born son is mentally handicapped, yet in so many ways he is far wiser than I am. He has an intuitive knowledge of what is important in life. When we go out he looks people in the eye, calls them by name, and shares his smile far more easily than I do. He goes through life with a soul full of love, joy, and kindness that he gives to everyone he meets. He makes others feel better. He makes each day shine brighter. He makes this world more beautiful just by being in it. He may not understand everything in life, but he knows how to live happily and lovingly. He shows me everyday that life is simple. It is we who make it complicated.

You see, life is just the choices we make each day.

We can choose to love or we can choose to be afraid.
We can choose to help or we can choose to turn away.
We can choose to forgive or we can choose to hate.
We can choose to be kind or we can choose to be cruel.
We can choose to trust or we can choose to be suspicious.
We can choose to give or we can choose to take.
We can choose to serve or we can choose to be selfish.
We can choose to laugh or we can choose to sulk.
We can choose to cry or we can choose to hide our hearts.
We can choose to smile or we can choose to stress.
We can choose to be at peace or we can choose to be at war within ourselves.
We can choose to live or we can choose to just exist.
We can choose to believe God loves us or we can choose to live in doubt.
We can choose to shine our souls or we can choose to dwell in darkness.
We can choose to make this world more like Heaven or we can choose to make this world more like Hell.

My son knows these choices by heart and always makes the right ones. I hope to one day get there as well. Until then I will do my best to live simply, to be wise, and to choose well. Until then I will do my best to love God, myself, and others. May you do the same.


-- Joseph J. Mazzella


1 comment:

Vivvie said...

What a wonderful Vitamin for the soul. Thank you for sharing this thought.
You may refer to your sons' situation as handicapped, I call it challenged.
I have a son who is physically challenged and interact with people with various types of disabilities as a Life Coach here in Cape Town,South Africa, and these thoughts will be shared regularly, as the need arises.
Blessings to you and your family.